Wednesday 21 July 2010

#6 British rapper - DELS


A few months back I bumped into my old college friend Kieren aka DELS.

Coming from a small town to the big city, I admire his ambition and perseverance to become a contender in the music industry – which is never easy.

Back in 2004 or 05 was when we met and even then he was making music. Now fresh from being signed to Big Dada / Ninja Tunes records - which he fully deserves I get an update.

Innovation and creativity is what fuels this world- With his musical talents I’m sure we’ll be hearing a lot more -

www.myspace.com/imdels

j-Update me with your current projects!

k-I am working on my debut album. First single from my album, 'Shapeshift' drops on 23rd August on Big Dada / Ninja Tune records.

j-I remember your group ‘Alliance’ back in college – what’s happened to the other members?

k-They all got fat, married and had children.

j-You went your way and how’s that been for you till now?

k-Brilliant. I get to do things my own way without compromising my vision. I'm happy.

j-Tell me about your struggles? I like the blood and sweat stories.

k-No. This is too clichéd…personal. Listen to my music.

j-Ok if I must! What keeps you going?

k-Bakewell tarts, party rings & orange juice.

j-Aside from tarts, what’s happened to the massive pink teddy thing you did for college?

k-Alexis Taylor (the lead singer from Hot Chip) has one in his family home. My ex-girlfriend has one gathering dust underneath her bed.

j-I like London more than Ipswich. How about you?

k-I like New York more than I do Ipswich.

j-Where to be cool and hang out?

k-Anywhere in the countryside. Nobody bothers you there (you can't get no reception, so no emails/texts etc.)

j-Where in London do you go for fun?

k-Anywhere alcohol is sold and good music is on rotation. Art book shops. Galleries.

j-Tell me your influences?

k-Anyone from Yoshitomo Nara to David Lynch. MF Doom and Andre 3000 through to Joy Division and Micachu.

j-At what stage in life would you say you are in right now?

k-Mid-20's crisis.

j-You into pop cheese.com by any chance or am I still on my own?

k-You're on your own.

j-Describe your music.

k-A waterfall in the middle of a council estate. The unexpected. Hip-Hop.

j-What do you enjoy most about making art, making music?

k-Firstly, I get to experiment with sounds and visuals for my own satisfaction. Then people tell me if they like it or not. I enjoy the critique. Makes me want to create more. I love playing live shows and seeing how people who don't know my music react.

j-Can you describe me your perfect environment to work in when you are getting creative?

k-In my bedroom - ‘pretend’ studio.

j-How do you decide if something works or not?

k-If I don't like it, you won't hear it or see it.

j-Besides music, what other stuff are you into?

k-Dreaming about to being able to afford clothes by Martin Margiela and Tom Ford. Conjuring up nuke-proof plans that will enable me to live in Tokyo for at least a year. Obviously, I have been unsuccessful so far.

j-What are you most afraid of?

k-Freddie Kruger and Cheese.

j-Do you believe in fate and destiny? Or it’s a load of rubbish to you?

k-I create my own fate..luck.

j-What are you thinking right now?

k-That I need to vote for Labour and cook for my Aunties this evening.

j-How would you end this?

k-Thank you and goodbye.

Go pick up his single Shapeshift - out next month!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
London Town, United Kingdom
Qwan is an evolving concept for many things. Online BlogMag - Fashion / Art / Music - www.qwanqwan.com

Followers

 

Free Hit Counters
Singles Dating